Episode 061 - with The Meanest Woman Alive,
Powerhouse Litigator Linda smith
Linda Smith is one of the few women who has reached the summit of the legal profession, litigating on behalf of clients like Exxon and IBM in some of the biggest cases ever tried. She has often tangled with outsized male egos, from Michael Dell to Mick Jagger, without ever breaking stride. Her experience over the past 40 years landed her with the prodigious title of “The Meanest Woman Alive.”
Today, Linda is on a mission to empower ambitious women in all fields to use their talent, smarts, and femininity to reach their own pinnacles of success. Whether it's defeating gender stereotypes, conquering self-sabotaging behaviors, handling difficult men, or seizing and holding on to leadership positions, Linda has done it all and come out on top by embodying the best traits of women—while beating the men at their own game. Let her show you how.
ABOUT LINDA SMITH
For nearly 40 years, Linda Smith has represented the world’s biggest companies in their most complex litigation issues—“bet-the-company” cases where everything is at stake. On behalf of AMD, she led a team of 200+ lawyers to beat Intel in a multibillion-dollar antitrust case. She successfully defended Exxon in another multibillion-dollar trial that falsely questioned and sought damages for the oil giant’s cleanup efforts in Alaska. In industries ranging from accounting to show business, she’s taken on the toughest challenges and emerged victorious. She has also given back by handling pro bono cases all the way up to the Supreme Court, most recently when she represented immigrant mothers of U.S. citizen children facing deportation and the breakup of their families.
While she can definitely be the “meanest” to opposing lawyers who try to pull a fast one, Smith is also a lovely person with a deep commitment to collaboration and decades of success as a devoted mentor to professional women. Smith's experience makes her an expert on topics of vital interest to your listeners—shattering glass ceilings, dealing with difficult men, finding career success in a man's world, and more.
Ian and Linda discuss; -
Linda believes with talent, ability and bad-assery, women can overcome the structural impediments and rise to the top of any chosen profession
Linda talks about confidence over competence being the key to career success and the need to embrace the feminine power of a woman.
Linda gives her views on emotional intelligence and outlines her own leadership skills that serve her well in the workplace.
Linda shares two bonus stories with us in another episode, including when she knocked back Mick Jagger.
If you enjoyed this episode with Linda, why not check out;
- Ep 12 – Sharon MacArthur | What Kind of a Leader are you?
- Ep 15 – Colin Macdonald | Games Commissioner at Channel 4
- Ep 16 - Lisa Spencer-Arnell | What's LOVE got to do with Leadership
- Ep 21 - Harry Baker | The Sunshine Kid - World Poetry Slam Champ
- Ep 26 - Jonathan Pfahl | Rockstar Mentoring
- Ep 31 - Adèle McLay | Stand Out. Get Noticed. Grow Your Business.
- Ep 33 - Matthew Turner | The Successful Mistake.
- Ep 35 - Nicki Morris | Business Stategy Planning.
- Ep 38 - Rasmus Ankersen | Talent & High Performance Culture
- Ep 39 - Alison Donaghey | Change Your Business Change the World
- Ep 42 & 43 - Geoff Thompson | Scaling a start-up company & becoming Chairman of your hometown football club
- Ep 46 - Nick Klisht | Company Culture
- Ep 47 - Lawrence Mitchell | Success Without Stress: How to Prevent Burnout & Build Resilience
- Ep 49 - Steve Shoulder | 90 Days To Profit. The secret weapon for business success
- Ep 53 - Ian Farrar | Influencer Marketing Vs Employee Advocacy
- Ep 54 - Robyn Crane | Make More Money, Help More People
- Ep 58 - Danusia Malina-Derben | Business Seduction: Sex Might Sell But Intimacy Wins
- Ep 59 - Luke Szyrmer | Lean startup, is it for you?
- Ep 65 - Shawn Anderson | Go The Extra Mile, Create That Better Life
- Ep 69 - Keith Walker | Reduce threat with an Innovation Culture
- Ep 70 - Sean Swarner | Redefine Impossible
- Ep 77 - Kyle Davies | The Answer Within, Managing Work Related Stress
- Ep 80 - Alex Ingham | How To Build & Run A Start-up Business
- Ep 83 - Louise Kennedy & Sharon MacArthur | International Women's Day
- Ep 84 - Shaun Oakes | A Founder’s Journey
- Ep 86 - Lucy Kendall | CEO of International Children's Charity COCO
- Ep 87 - Gary Fildes | LIVE Fireside Chat with Astronomer & Kielder Observatory Founder
- Ep 88 - Jill McKinney | LIVE Exploring the Digital Skills Gap
- Ep 92 - Tanja Bueltmann | The Brexit Interview – Britain and the EU impact
- Ep 94 - Dr. Laurie Rauch | Performance Under Pressure
- Ep 97 - Ian Farrar | Company Values & Digital Reputation
- Ep 99 - Timo Bouldt | Five years & 250 employees later
- Ep 100 - Ray Spencer | The Centenary edition with Ray Spencer
- Ep 102 - Ian Farrar | Career Mapping & Goal Setting
- Ep 103 - Caspar Berry | Risk Taking & Decision Making in Poker, Business & Life
- Ep 105 - The Listeners! | Listeners Career Journeys
- Ep 109 - Ian Farrar | Ditch Them Clients & Win New Friends
- Ep 110 - Davide Caervillin | How to win at Office Politics
- Ep 114 - Pat Lynes | Teams as a Service
- Ep 115 - Ian Farrar | The Power of Feedback
- Ep 117 - Ian Farrar | One Golden Nugget
- Ep 120 - Ian Farrar | Get Accountable – 10 Tips to Seize the Way!
- Ep 124 - Conor McCarthy | Founding One Of Europe's Fastest Growing Startups
- Ep 125 - Live Streaming Interviews | Newcastle Startup Week 2019
- Ep 128 - Kathrine Switzer | Marathon Woman | Be Fearless
- Ep 130 - Ian & Friends | Launching Carpeway Leadership Group
- Ep 137 - Ian Farrar | Leaders; Things to Consider Before You Terminate A Position
- Ep 140 - Matthew Turner | The Anti Hustle
- Ep 142 - Glyn Davison | LIVE Fireside Chat
- Ep 146 - Ian Farrar | Level Up Your Business & Career
- Ep 151 - Ian Farrar | No one is coming to save YOU!
- Ep 159 - Sharon MacArthur | Miss Menopause
- Ep 165 - Kate Anderson | Teamwork & Culture Building
- Ep 166 - Carl Buckley | Entrepreneurial Mindset & Wellbeing
- Ep 168 - Ramm & Risner | Manage Your Team & Thrill Your Clients
- Ep 176 - R Michael Anderson | Building During Adversity
- Ep 180 - Adrienne Gibson | Transforming with Heart
- Ep 184 - Gillian Fortune | How to Feel in Control
- Ep 185 - Ray Spencer | Will the Show Go On?
- Ep 192 - Dr Russell Thackeray | To Drive Change Through Your Organisation
Far North Sales & Marketing
“The fortune is in the follow up”
- Dustin Mathews