Far North Sales & Marketing
Episode 062 - with Seniorpreneuer Irene Manson
CareCallingNow is a family owned company with the Vision of keeping people in their own homes longer, where they are most comfortable. We help busy people with vulnerable family members who want to continue to live independently to know for certain that they are OK. With a special emphasis on pro-active automated call programs, because checking in on you family should be easy and not a burden.
CareCallingNow was created after a member of our own family had mini stroke and was on the floor alone for 2 days with her medical alert bracelet in the other room.
Our Story – Ian & Irene
Ian’s mum Maisie lived in her own home, long after her husband Bill had passed, until she was about 86 years old.
His mum had a history of falls and we thought we would get her one of those medical alert necklaces, so that if she fell, when no one was around she would not be at risk of lying on the floor for days.
We were young, busy with our own lives and young family and lived 1000 miles away. We had the best of intentions but realistically we were never going to make the effort to call her every day, even though we knew we should.
This, however, was not the only issue we had… we didn’t realize at the time, that she didn’t always wear it that it was on her bedside table, or in kitchen instead of around her neck!!!
One day she had a mini stroke in the bathroom, and did fall and even though she was not wearing the necklace, she would not have been able to push the button as she was “paralysed.”
She was there for about 40 hours before she was found.
How bad did we feel???
How good would it have been if CareCallingNow had been around then!!!
It was after that we realised she could no longer stay in her own home safely anymore. It broke our hearts when the day came that she left her home of close to 30 years.
Ian said he felt like we were sending her to jail… you couldn’t even say “without the bars” as her windows did actually have bars on them.
The only difference was she was free to come and go and people “cared” about her.
What choice did we have???
She couldn’t really live with us!!!
We didn’t know “how to take care of her” even if she had wanted to come.
Every so often you hear of those horror stories of people being found dead, in their home, years after they died because no one noticed.
Of course, these are extremes and I am in no way suggesting that your relationship with your Mom is such that something like this would happen.
However in talking to other people whose elderly loved one has died at home alone, after a fall or accident, 4 DAYS is not uncommon for them to wait…these falls do not all end in death but hospitalisation for severe dehydration is the very least that you can expect.
Ian and Irene discuss:
- Launching a business at the end of your career
- The rise of the silver economy which contributes $11.9 billion to Australian GDP
- The traits of a Seniorpreneuer
- Where to target on Social Media
- Buying Personas
- Laptop Lifestyle (etirement)
If you enjoyed this episode with Irene, why not check out;
- Ep 1 – Dinah Bennett OBE | International Enterprise & Entrepreneurship
- Ep 4 – Darren Williams | From Dance Music To Hair Extensions
- Ep 9 – Tom Hunt | Tales From The Dragon’s Den
- Ep 18 - Heather Wilde | Entrepreneurship & Mentoring
- Ep 19 - Stephanie Mulac | Entrepreneur? Don't BURN out!
- Ep 20 - Hayley Quinn | Female Entrepreneurialism, Vlogging & Office Romances
- Ep 23 - Danielle Tate | Elegant Entrepreneur: The Female Founders Guide to Starting & Growing Your First Company
- Ep 25 - John Williams | Screw Work Break Free: How to Launch Your Own Money-Making Idea in 30 Days
- Ep 27 - Geoffrey Moore | High Tech Marketing
- Ep 28 - Ted Rubin | Social Marketing Strategist
- Ep 30 - Antonio García Martinez | Inside the Silicon Valley Money Machine
- Ep 32 - Louie La Vella | When Louie met Gaga.
- Ep 33 - Matthew Turner | The Successful Mistake.
- Ep 34 - Scott Gombar | SEO Uncovered.
- Ep 35 - Nicki Morris | Business Stategy Planning.
- Ep 36 - John Lagoudakis | Results Based Internet Marketing
- Ep 41 - Rachel Parker | Content Marketing
- Ep 44 - Elaine Haney | Amazon Merch Entrepreneur
- Ep 48 - Nick Mann | How To Find Your Passion & Do What You Were Born To Do
- Ep 49 - Steve Shoulder | 90 Days To Profit. The Secret Weapon For Business Success
- Ep 50 - Brian Fanzo | Disrupting the Digital Future with a Millennial Mindset
- Ep 52 - Connor Gillivan | Growing a college Amazon business into a successful enterprise.
- Ep 53 - Ian Farrar | Influencer Marketing Vs Employee Advocacy
- Ep 54 - Robyn Crane | Make More Money, Help More People
- Ep 55 - Simon Middleton | Build A Brand In 30 Days
- Ep 57 - Jody Nichols | Academia to Entrepreneurship, a Software Start-up Journey.
- Ep 59 - Luke Szyrmer | Lean Startup, Is It For You?
- Ep 60 - Dustin Mathews | Can One Great Presentation Make You Rich?
- Ep 63 - Ian Farrar | How to deal with Email Unsubscribers
- Ep 64 - Jefferson Lilly | Mobile Home Park Investment Niche
- Ep 66 - Paul Lancaster | Inspiring entrepreneurs through a citywide festival
- Ep 67 - Suria Sparks | $10M Annual Sales Using Facebook Marketing Strategies
- Ep 68 - Heather Havenwood | Chatbot: Friend Or Foe
- Ep 71 - Paul Slater | Always Be Testing - Tales from a Start-up
- Ep 73 - Doug Scott | The skinny on Angel Investors & Venture Capitalists
- Ep 74 - Andreas Kambanis | Top 10 Mobile App Marketing Strategy
- Ep 78 - AJ Wilcox | Tips for Winning with LinkedIn Advertising
- Ep 80 - Alex Ingham | How To Build & Run A Start-up Business
- Ep 82 - Sharon Bolt | Get Free Publicity Today
- Ep 84 - Shaun Oakes | A Founder’s Journey
- Ep 90 - Jamie Hill | Facebook groups for creating sales leads
- Ep 91 - Laura Foster | What exactly is a Scale Up Business?
- Ep 95 - Deepak Shukla | Achieve More Leads & Boss the Rankings
- Ep 96 - Richard Myers | Backing Entrepreneurs with Start-Up Loans
- Ep 97 - Ian Farrar | Company Values & Digital Reputation
- Ep 99 - Timo Bouldt | Five Years & 250 Employees Later
- Ep 106 - Ian Farrar | Global Platform, Local Focus
- Ep 108 – Mugzy | Hip Hop Entrepreneurship
- Ep 111 - Ric Drasin | The Golden Era of Bodybuilding
- Ep 116 - Simon Middleton | Brand Is DEAD
- Ep 118 - Jim Mawdsley | CEO of the UK's Leading Music Sector Development agency
- Ep 124 - Conor McCarthy | Founding one of Europe's fastest growing startups
- Ep 129 - Cintel Global | Startup Safari NG | Founding an Emerging Tech Startup
- Ep 135 - Ian & Panel | Life After University
- Ep 136 - Sharon Bolt | How to Tell Stories the Media Can't Resist
- Ep 141 - Ian Farrar | How to Get Featured on Podcasts
- Ep 148 - Ian & Panel | Q & A With Three Business Founders
- Ep 153 - Michael Owen | Clothing Brand Founder | Always Wear Red
- Ep 162 - Phil Teasdale | Inspiration USA!
- Ep 163 - Ashleigh King | Organising a TEDx Event & What Makes an Awesome Application
- Ep 164 - Nicola Jayne Little | Running MINT Business Club
- Ep 166 - Carl Buckley | Entrepreneurial Mindset & Wellbeing
- Ep 167 - Geoff Ramm | Every Year, One Big Project
- Ep 169 - Laura Middleton | An eCommerce Business Journey
- Ep 170 - Barney Waters | President of K-Swiss
- Ep 171 - Leon Howe | Business Incubator Benefits
- Ep 172 - Pascal Fintoni | Visual Storytelling
- Ep 174 - Paul Lancaster | Start Something New
- Ep 175 - Deb McGargle | Understanding The World of Startups
- Ep 177 - Ann English | Why Most Ideas Die
- Ep 179 - Martin Stout | Impact via a Leading Business & Lifestyle Magazine
- Ep 181 - Rob Moore | The Disruptive Entrepreneur
- Ep 182 - Helen Burgess | Little Cooks Co
- Ep 186 - Tim Chicken | SubSea Craft | Advanced Maritime Technology
- Ep 189 - Bryn Jones | How To Launch A Drinks Product
- Ep 193 - Elise Lane | Crowdfunding Tyneside's First Urban Winery
““In this age of communication people are less and less connected”
- Irene Manson