Ep 110 How to win at Office Politics
In any office there’s always a hierarchy of power plays in how to get things done. Corporate veteran, Davide Cervellin, shows us how to play the game in his new book ‘Office of Cards’:
1. The corporate environment is like an episode of Game of Thrones – despite all the rules and red-tape it can be unpredictable so make sure you’re prepared for every outcome
2. Networking is the key to success – personal connections help you get things done so build a network that can make you uniquely effective in your environment
3. Lose the whiners – if you choose to spend time with people who drag you down, they WILL drag you down. Seek people who think and act like you – be a radiator and not a drain
4. Play the Long Game – getting what you want or need from the business world takes planning, time and hard work. Make sure every move you make gets you one step closer to your goal, no matter how long it takes
5. Always have a positive attitude and stay cool – it instils calm and inspires loyalty. Anger and frustration lose you good friends, lead you to make mistakes and miss opportunities
6. Never argue – there is absolutely nothing to gain from making an enemy for the sake of winning an argument because that enemy could become a problem
7. Make no enemies – enemies kill ideas and careers. Even if you think that person is powerless you don’t want them as an enemy, to survive and thrive you need to make sure that you #makenoenemies
8. Make people feel valued and important – they’re far more likely to support you and respond to your suggestions
9. Learn how to listen to people – your attention should be on what they’re saying when they’re speaking, not your response. By listening to people and giving them a chance to speak you’re gathering information you can use to tailor your idea to tie in with what they’ve got in mind
10. Be prepared – when you need something from someone make it as easy as possible for them to give it to you by doing the research and thinking needed before you ask anything
Davide Cervellin was nominated as one of the Top 100 Influential People in Data Driven Businesses in 2018. He now works for travel website Booking.com.
Davide has offered listeners the book at a discounted price for those who buy on gumroad (below). Here you can buy the PDF or ePub and then from there you can put the files on iPad or Kindle and read normally.
Just add code "industry_angel" at checkout, which takes the book down to 6.99 GBP (30% off).
If you enjoyed this episode with Davide, why not check out;
- Ep 12 – Sharon MacArthur | What Kind of a Leader are you?
- Ep 15 – Colin Macdonald | Games Commissioner at Channel 4
- Ep 16 - Lisa Spencer-Arnell | What's LOVE got to do with Leadership
- Ep 21 - Harry Baker | The Sunshine Kid - World Poetry Slam Champ
- Ep 26 - Jonathan Pfahl | Rockstar Mentoring
- Ep 31 - Adèle McLay | Stand Out. Get Noticed. Grow Your Business.
- Ep 33 - Matthew Turner | The Successful Mistake.
- Ep 35 - Nicki Morris | Business Stategy Planning.
- Ep 38 - Rasmus Ankersen | Talent & High Performance Culture
- Ep 39 - Alison Donaghey | Change Your Business Change the World
- Ep 42 & 43 - Geoff Thompson | Scaling a start-up company & becoming Chairman of your hometown football club
- Ep 46 - Nick Klisht | Company Culture
- Ep 47 - Lawrence Mitchell | Success Without Stress: How to Prevent Burnout & Build Resilience
- Ep 49 - Steve Shoulder | 90 Days To Profit. The secret weapon for business success
- Ep 53 - Ian Farrar | Influencer Marketing Vs Employee Advocacy
- Ep 54 - Robyn Crane | Make More Money, Help More People
- Ep 58 - Danusia Malina-Derben | Business Seduction: Sex Might Sell But Intimacy Wins
- Ep 59 - Luke Szyrmer | Lean startup, is it for you?
- Ep 61 - Linda smith | The Meanest Woman Alive
- Ep 65 - Shawn Anderson | Go The Extra Mile, Create That Better Life
- Ep 69 - Keith Walker | Reduce threat with an Innovation Culture
- Ep 70 - Sean Swarner | Redefine Impossible
- Ep 77 - Kyle Davies | The Answer Within, Managing Work Related Stress
- Ep 80 - Alex Ingham | How To Build & Run A Start-up Business
- Ep 83 - Louise Kennedy & Sharon MacArthur | International Women's Day
- Ep 84 - Shaun Oakes | A Founder’s Journey
- Ep 86 - Lucy Kendall | CEO of International Children's Charity COCO
- Ep 87 - Gary Fildes | LIVE Fireside Chat with Astronomer & Kielder Observatory Founder
- Ep 88 - Jill McKinney | LIVE Exploring the Digital Skills Gap
- Ep 92 - Tanja Bueltmann | The Brexit Interview – Britain and the EU impact
- Ep 94 - Dr. Laurie Rauch | Performance Under Pressure
- Ep 97 - Ian Farrar | Company Values & Digital Reputation
- Ep 99 - Timo Bouldt | Five years & 250 employees later
- Ep 100 - Ray Spencer | The Centenary edition with Ray Spencer
- Ep 102 - Ian Farrar | Career Mapping & Goal Setting
- Ep 103 - Caspar Berry | Risk Taking & Decision Making in Poker, Business & Life
- Ep 105 - The Listeners! | Listeners Career Journeys
- Ep 109 - Ian Farrar | Ditch Them Clients & Win New Friends
- Ep 114 - Pat Lynes | Teams as a Service
- Ep 115 - Ian Farrar | The Power of Feedback
- Ep 117 - Ian Farrar | One Golden Nugget
- Ep 120 - Ian Farrar | Get Accountable – 10 Tips to Seize the Way!
- Ep 124 - Conor McCarthy | Founding One Of Europe's Fastest Growing Startups
- Ep 125 - Live Streaming Interviews | Newcastle Startup Week 2019
- Ep 128 - Kathrine Switzer | Marathon Woman | Be Fearless
- Ep 130 - Ian & Friends | Launching Carpeway Leadership Group
- Ep 137 - Ian Farrar | Leaders; Things to Consider Before You Terminate A Position
- Ep 140 - Matthew Turner | The Anti Hustle
- Ep 142 - Glyn Davison | LIVE Fireside Chat
- Ep 146 - Ian Farrar | Level Up Your Business & Career
- Ep 151 - Ian Farrar | No one is coming to save YOU!
- Ep 159 - Sharon MacArthur | Miss Menopause
- Ep 165 - Kate Anderson | Teamwork & Culture Building
- Ep 166 - Carl Buckley | Entrepreneurial Mindset & Wellbeing
- Ep 168 - Ramm & Risner | Manage Your Team & Thrill Your Clients
- Ep 176 - R Michael Anderson | Building During Adversity
- Ep 180 - Adrienne Gibson | Transforming with Heart
- Ep 184 - Gillian Fortune | How to Feel in Control
- Ep 185 - Ray Spencer | Will the Show Go On?
- Ep 192 - Dr Russell Thackeray | To Drive Change Through Your Organisation