Ian is interviewed for the 1% Better Podcast Show
Ian Farrar is interviewed by Rob O’Donohue aka 'Rob of the Green' for his 1% better podcast.
Show notes courtesy of 1% Better
Ian Farrar is a man of many talents. These include Sales, Marketing, Digital & Business Coach, Podcast Hosting training, and helping other improve. That’s why I felt he was a perfect fit and guest on ‘1% Better’.
We connected last year as we both presented topics on ‘International Podcast Day’ in September 2018 and we agreed to do an episode.
I didn’t mess around too much with this one as I dived straight into Ian’s Entrepreneurial Journey and it flowed from there.
As always, we cover a broad range of topics and share a number of practical tips, tools, insights that you could take something of value from.
Here’s a summary of the show:
• How Ian started out on his Entrepreneurial Journey – Never something he deliberately wanted to!
• The jumping off point – what brought it to a head?
• Burning out after pushing too hard & stressed
• Culture is a key component
• Leadership and how to deal with tough leaders
• Becoming a victim to Bonus, Targets and Sales
• Incentivization and Gamification
• Defining the Why & Simon Sinek
• Being able to do things you want to do!
• Enjoying the roles – which stand out as most enjoyment
• Volunteering & 101 ways to volunteering – working on a book here
• Becoming more of an experienced leader with Probono roles on Boards
• Core Values & what makes up you?
• Being able to look at yourself in the mirror?
• Integrity & Humility
• Early Challenges from the early stages of entrepreneurial journey
• Cash Flow is King when going out on your own!
• Coaching approaches and style — Listening is at the core
• Mentoring v Coaching & the 90/10 rule!
• Leadership is a lonely journey – getting everything out on the table is key for Coachee
• Always having a mentor to keep himself accountable
• The value of a mastermind group and sharing out ideas
• Not letting fear hold him back at all – feeling he can take on any challenge and pushing through
• Having battle scars during the career and needing them to be able to coach
• Real Coaching v ‘pretend’ coaches
• Imposter Syndrome and being aware of it!
• Being cautious with the word ‘experts’ on social media
• Trying not to react to social media
• Being Human – You can’t help your feelings, but you can help how you react!
• Goal Setting Approaches and wanting to inspire others
• The Spark to beginning the podcast journey
• Reading the BBC’s top 100 books leading to Audio books which lead to podcasting
• Pushing through and learning by just doing and doing!
• Pushing the envelope further by starting to do live episodes & recording in-front of an audience
• How now to deal with stress:
o learning to say ‘no’ more!
o Exercise and sport
• Social Good & Giving Back
• How to have a good day? What approaches?
• What question do you not like being ask & why?
• Advice been given?
• What’s the most important lesson learned? What you do and what you say can be very different!
• Book Recommendations
o On the Road – Jack Kerouac
o Shantaram – Gregory David Roberts
• Dinner Guests
• The future of Sunderland FC!
If you enjoyed this episode, why not check out;
- Ep 3 – Brad Burton | Business Motivational Speaker
- Ep 10 - Taz Thornton | Extreme Empowerment
- Ep 14 - James Ketchell | The Ultimate Triathlon - Climb, Row, Cycle
- Ep 21 - Harry Baker | The Sunshine Kid - World Poetry Slam Champ
- Ep 29 - Ash Dykes | World Record Holding Adventurer
- Ep 70 - Sean Swarner | Redefine Impossible
- Ep 76 - Ian Farrar 2018 Update | Goal Setting
- Ep 83 - Louise Kennedy & Sharon MacArthur | International Women's Day
- Ep 97 - Ian Farrar | Company Values & Digital Reputation
- Ep 102 - Ian Farrar | Career Mapping & Goal Setting
- Ep 105 - The Listeners! | Listeners Career Journeys
- Ep 107 - Ian Farrar | Volunteering for You & Your Community
- Ep 109 - Ian Farrar | Ditch Them Clients & Win New Friends
- Ep 111 - Ric Drasin | The Golden Era of Bodybuilding
- Ep 115 - Ian Farrar | The Power of Feedback
- Ep 120 - Ian Farrar | Get Accountable – 10 Tips to Seize the Way!
- Ep 126 - Brad Burton | NSW Bonus | Day One
- Ep 133 - Ian Farrar | Fuel Your Fire, Come Back Stronger
- Ep 139 - Caspar Craven | Where the Magic Happens
- Ep 147 - Ash Dykes | Mission Yangtze
- Ep 150 - Cathy O'Dowd | Do What Has Never Been Done Before
- Ep 151 - Ian Farrar | No one is coming to save YOU!
- Ep 155 - Richard Tubb | Journaling for Success
- Ep 156 - Sarah Crimmens | Foundation: Gratitude & The Universe
- Ep 160 - Alfie Joey | Changing Lanes
- Ep 167 - Geoff Ramm | Every Year, One Big Project
- Ep 176 - R Michael Anderson | Building During Adversity
- Ep 187 - Saray Khumalo | Award Winning Mountaineer
- Ep 188 - Polly Brennan & John Mew | Mental Fitness
"The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the next best time is today"
- Ian Farrar