Episode 070 - Redefine Impossible
His first goal was to crawl 8 feet from the hospital bed to the bathroom. He went on to Redefine Impossible by climbing 29,035 feet to the top of Mt. Everest with one lung! From there he stood atop the highest point on all 7 continents, skied to the South and North Poles, and completed the Hawaii Ironman. Sean has been interviewed by Steve Harvey, CBS Evening News, Fox & Friends, The Today Show, Good Morning America, The Early Show, Huffington Post, Outside the Lines, Sports Center, Washington Post, USA Today, Sports Center, and countless others. His numerous articles with thought leaders such as Sir Richard Branson and Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu put him in a category by himself.
The first cancer survivor to stand on the top of the world!
With only one functioning lung, a prognosis of fourteen days to live, and being in a medically-induced coma for a year, Sean Swarner is the first cancer survivor to stand on top of the world… Mt. Everest. Sean has broken through defined human limitation in order to redefine the way the world views success.
Sean was diagnosed with two deadly, different, and unrelated forms of cancer, once at the age of thirteen and again at the age of sixteen. After an incredibly poor prognosis, and being read his last rites, Sean astounded the medical community when he survived both these brutal diseases. He realized that after defeating cancer twice, no challenge would ever be too great, no peak too high.
Sean proved his theory when he crested the peak of Mt. Everest. As the first cancer survivor to do so, Sean decided to continue climbing and has since topped the highest peaks in Africa, Europe, South America, Australia, Antarctica, and North America, thus completing the “7-Summits”. Upon skiing to both the South and the North Poles, Sean completed the Explorer’s Grand Slam.
With the completion of the Ironman World Championship in Hawaii, Sean is the only person in history to accomplish these inhuman feats.
As Sean continues to defy the odds, test his own endurance and inspire and motivate people around the world, he shares his message of healing, hope, and triumph with cancer patients worldwide. Sean also serves as a source of inspiration as the founder of the non-profit organization, The CancerClimber Association, as author of the book “Keep Climbing,” and as a motivational speaker to corporations, universities, and other organizations around the globe.
Ian and Sean discuss:
- Suffering with cancer
- Climbing Everest
- Setting the goal to climb the seven summits
- Kilimanjaro project
- North & South Pole experience
- Life is finite – one chance
- What’s next? Space flight?
- Redefine your impossible
True North: The Sean Swarner Story is an unflinching documentary about one man's relentless quest to prove that nothing is stronger than the human spirit!
If you enjoyed this episode with Sean, why not check out;
- Ep 3 – Brad Burton | Business Motivational Speaker
- Ep 10 - Taz Thornton | Extreme Empowerment
- Ep 14 - James Ketchell | The Ultimate Triathlon - Climb, Row, Cycle
- Ep 21 - Harry Baker | The Sunshine Kid - World Poetry Slam Champ
- Ep 29 - Ash Dykes | World Record Holding Adventurer
- Ep 76 - Ian Farrar 2018 Update | Goal Setting
- Ep 83 - Louise Kennedy & Sharon MacArthur | International Women's Day
- Ep 97 - Ian Farrar | Company Values & Digital Reputation
- Ep 102 - Ian Farrar | Career Mapping & Goal Setting
- Ep 105 - The Listeners! | Listeners Career Journeys
- Ep 107 - Ian Farrar | Volunteering for You & Your Community
- Ep 109 - Ian Farrar | Ditch Them Clients & Win New Friends
- Ep 111 - Ric Drasin | The Golden Era of Bodybuilding
- Ep 113 - Anon & Ian Farrar | Punking Marvel
- Ep 115 - Ian Farrar | The Power of Feedback
- Ep 120 - Ian Farrar | Get Accountable – 10 Tips to Seize the Way!
- Ep 121 - Anon & Ian Farrar | Marvel Victory
- Ep 123 - Ian Farrar & Rob O'Donahue | Ian is interviewed for the 1% Better Podcast Show
- Ep 126 - Brad Burton | NSW Bonus | Day One
- Ep 128 - Kathrine Switzer | Marathon Woman | Be Fearless
- Ep 133 - Ian Farrar | Fuel Your Fire, Come Back Stronger
- Ep 139 - Caspar Craven | Where the Magic Happens
- Ep 143 & 144- Ann Cleeves | LIVE Interview and Q & A
- Ep 147 - Ash Dykes | Mission Yangtze
- Ep 150 - Cathy O'Dowd | Do What Has Never Been Done Before
- Ep 151 - Ian Farrar | No one is coming to save YOU!
- Ep 155 - Richard Tubb | Journaling for Success
- Ep 156 - Sarah Crimmens | Foundation: Gratitude & The Universe
- Ep 158 - Emma Lewell-Buck | MP for South Shields
- Ep 160 - Alfie Joey | Changing Lanes
- Ep 167 - Geoff Ramm | Every Year, One Big Project
- Ep 176 - R Michael Anderson | Building During Adversity
- Ep 187 - Saray Khumalo | Award Winning Mountaineer
- Ep 188 - Polly Brennan & John Mew | Mental Fitness
“No matter what happens today, today is the best day ever”
- Sean Swarner