Episode 147 - Ash Dykes
The first person to walk the entire length of the Yangtze River.
Can you remember the Explorer/Extreme Athlete from Episode 29 who walked across Mongolia and Madagascar?
Well he’s fresh back from traversing the entire length of the Yangtze River in China on foot, a worlds first that took him a year to complete.
The guys cover;
- Getting to the source of the Yangtze
- Crew members abandoning due to weather and conditions
- Two years in the planning
- An interactive expedition with schools and the public
- Loneliness along the way, mental strength
- Physical training
- Carrying kit for capturing video and audio content
- Guinness world of records requirements
- Keeping the body ticking over with light training
- Running out of food rations
- Eating with nomads
- Speaking the language
- The guides play a huge part of the expedition
- Protecting yourself from bears!
- Typical daily routine
- Keeping a low profile in certain regions
- The documentary
- The finish and a storm arrives
- The impact since mission completion
"Regardless of whether you have the right skills you can teach yourself and learn as you go."
- Ash Dykes